Severe Storm Preparedness
Storms can strike quickly – sometimes causing power outages and other dangerous conditions. Plan ahead to keep your family safe during a future storm:
- Create an emergency plan. Know what you will do in an emergency and be sure everyone in the house knows too. Plan where you will meet in case you are separated.
- Assemble or store a disaster kit in your home that includes the following items:
- Water: Three-day supply, one gallon per person per day.
- Food: Three-day supply of nonperishable, high-energy food.
- Tools: Can opener, paper plates, utensils, flashlight, batteries, cash, bleach.
- First aid kit: Sufficient to care for minor injuries.
- Battery-operated weather radio: To receive updates.
- Plan for your family pets, they'll need food and water too.
- Have a backup electricity source if you require electricity for health care.
- Save MGE's emergency number, (608) 252-7111, in your cell phone. Remember, we can only restore electric service for MGE electric customers. If you receive electric service from a different company, please call them if your power goes out.
If a storm watch is issued
- Check flashlights and cell phones. Have extra batteries charged and ready if the storm causes power outages.
- A power outage may disrupt your water supply. Electricity to run municipal water pumps or individual well pumps may be disrupted. As a precaution, store water in plastic or glass containers for drinking and fill the bathtub with water for other uses.
If a storm warning is issued
- Go to your place of shelter.
- Take your pets and cell phone with you.
Customers with special needs
If you or someone in your household relies on life-support equipment, plan ahead and be prepared in case your power goes out.
- Call MGE at (608) 252-7222 if someone in your household requires electrical life-support equipment.
- Inform your nearest rescue, fire or other public safety service about your situation.
- Have a backup power supply available and know how to use it. MGE cannot provide portable generators or other backup equipment for customers.
- Know how long your backup power supply will last.
- Make arrangements ahead of time with friends or relatives to move to their home if your backup supply would not be adequate.
When the power goes out
- If someone is in immediate danger, always call 911.
- Report your electric power interruption by calling MGE at (608) 252-7111. Be sure to explain your situation when you report an outage.
- Monitor the outage situation. If it looks like the power will not be restored before your backup power runs out, move to another location with electric service.
For more information