Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program
Households with low-to-moderate income may be eligible for assistance from the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) for the heating season (Oct. 1 through Sept. 30).
Energy Services, Inc. (ESI) can provide energy assistance/public benefits and information:
- The amount depends on household size, income level and household heating and/or electric costs.
- Benefits are paid directly to the utility or fuel supplier.
- The utility or fuel supplier then credits the amount to your account.
- You will receive notification of the benefit amount.
- Counseling for energy conservation and budgeting for energy costs.
- Emergency furnace repair and replacement for homeowners.
- Community resources referrals.
To be eligible for assistance
- Your household must pay heating costs directly to a fuel or utility company or heating costs are included in the rent.
- Your gross income is less than the amount shown below for your household size:
|(10/01/2021 through 9/30/2022)
Applicants must provide
- Verification of household income (wages, child support, unemployment benefits, etc.) for the one-month period prior to the month of your appointment.
- Household's receiving Social Security or SSI should bring a letter from the Social Security office with information of your benefits.
- Verification of any interest/dividend income received for the previous 12 months by providing tax forms or Form 1099.
- Social Security cards and birth dates for all members of the household.
- If your rent includes heat, bring your lease.
For information or to apply for energy assistance, call or write the office in your county. If you have a disability, please call your county office to discuss options.
These are county offices in MGE's service area:
Columbia County (608) 742-4088
242 W. Cook St.
Portage, WI 53901
Crawford County (608) 326-0248
225 N. Beaumont Road, Suite 326
Prairie du Chien, WI 53821
Dane County (608) 333-0333
1225 S. Park St.
Madison, WI 53715
Iowa County (608) 930-9801
303 W. Chapel St., Suite 2300
Dodgeville, WI 53533
Juneau County (608) 847-5988
534B LaCrosse St.
Mauston, WI 53948
Monroe County (608) 487-9356
606 Cap St.
Sparta, WI 54656
Sauk County (608) 356-8887
916 8th Ave.
Baraboo, WI 53913
Vernon County (608) 637-5210
318 Fairlane Dr., Suite 100
Viroqua, WI 54665