Utility Bills and Sales Tax
If you have questions regarding sales tax exemptions, please contact your tax advisor, visit Wisconsin Department of Revenue or call 608-266-2776.
- MGE residential customers do not pay state sales tax on their natural gas or electric service from November through April.
- Nonprofit, charitable and religious organizations are tax-exempt year-round.
- Commercial customers generally pay sales tax on their utility bills year-round, with some exceptions. Natural gas and electricity used in manufacturing are sales tax-exempt.
Most sales tax exemptions require the completion and submission to MGE of a Wisconsin Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certificate (Form S-211) or a Certificate of Exempt Status (CES) number.
Sales tax refund
If you discover that you or your business qualifies for an exemption but you have been paying sales tax, you may apply for a refund from the Wisconsin Department of Revenue. If you don't know how much sales tax you've paid for utility service, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Forms and information from Wisconsin Department of Revenue
For information and instructions about how to claim a Wisconsin sales tax refund, visit Wisconsin Department of Revenue or call 608-266-2776.
- Form S-220 BCR: Buyer's Claim For Refund of Wisconsin State, County and Stadium Taxes
- Form S-220a Schedule P: Attachment to Buyer's Claim For Refund of Wisconsin State, County and Stadium Taxes
If you complete Sections 1 and 3 of Form S-220a and send it to Madison Gas and Electric, Attention: Customer Billing, PO Box 1231, Madison, WI 53701-1231, we will complete Section 2 and return it to you so you can claim your refund.