Tips to Control Your Energy Use
Control your energy use and save
How you select and manage the use of heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning (HVAC) units and lighting systems has a significant impact on your costs.
Track your usage
MGE provides your energy use history in My Account. You can view and download your history and use it to track your cost savings from making energy efficiency improvements.
MGE also provides free energy audits that include equipment comparisons, as well as new technology and energy-saving recommendations tailored to your business. To schedule, call an MGE account manager at (608) 252-7007 or complete the energy assessment form.
Slipstream, formerly known as Seventhwave, and a trusted expert in energy leadership, has a library of webinars on energy efficiency. Their vibrant learning experiences are free to view. Take some time to browse through their catalog and see how you can become more energy efficient.
Ways to save
The top ways to save energy are often some of the simplest:
- Unplug or turn off lights and other equipment when they aren't being used.
- Set back or lower temperatures for heating equipment and raise temperatures for air conditioning equipment.
- Review your operations and use timers, sensors and programmable setback thermostats to control lighting and other equipment, especially during on-peak hours. Consider shifting some operations to off-peak hours or scheduling routine equipment tests during off-peak hours.
- Clean and maintain heating, ventilation, air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment regularly. Good maintenance practices can save up to 15% of system energy use and prolong equipment life.
- Invest in new energy efficient equipment and technologies to reduce your energy use and increase your productivity, convenience and comfort. Look for ENERGY STAR® ratings for appliances and office equipment. Consider adjustable speed drives to improve motor operations and reduce power demands.