Gas Pipe Ownership
While MGE owns and maintains the natural gas piping from the street to your meter, natural gas customers are responsible for maintaining any natural gas lines from the meter to the point of use.
People using natural gas have pipes from the gas meter to the point of use. These lines may be above or below ground. For example:
- To a detached garage, shed or workshop.
- To a swimming pool heater, gas light or outdoor gas grill.
- Under some manufactured homes.
In all cases, customers are responsible for maintaining the gas line beyond the meter, NOT MGE.
Buried metal piping will corrode
Natural gas pipes that are buried in the ground can leak and metal pipes deteriorate with age, causing a potentially dangerous situation. For safety's sake, have your gas pipes inspected periodically, and repair them as needed.
You can find a contractor who will help you locate your underground lines through the Diggers Hotline website. Please dig carefully, by hand, to avoid damaging the line.
Your plumbing or heating contractor can provide assistance with inspection and repair. MGE will be happy to discuss your situation with you.
For more information
- In the Madison area, call MGE at (608) 252-7222
- For Elroy gas customers, call 1-800-887-8454
- For Prairie du Chien gas customers, call 1-888-326-2417
- For Viroqua gas customers, call 1-877-388-3139