Prepare for Electric Outage
We know that you rely on electricity to run your business. While most outages are caused by forces out of our control, we are prepared to respond to any outage quickly and safely. The major sources of electrical disturbances are due to:
- Wiring and grounding - inadequate or incorrect installation
- Motors—starting and stopping
- Laser printers and copiers - starting and operating
- Electric utility operations - switching or controlling faults and voltage levels
- Storms - lightning or wind damage
When your power is out, call (608) 252-7111 or toll-free (800) 245-1123 to report your outage.
- Protect the electric system from severe overloading.
- Increase overall service reliability.
Devices called reclosing circuit breakers or reclosers briefly interrupt the flow of current. The power is restored when the circuit is closed again.
Reclosers on the MGE system
- Are programmed to try to clear a detected fault.
- Cause "blinks" as the reclosers go through their fault-clearing sequence.
If the fault cannot be cleared, the circuit will stay open and an extended outage results.
Plan ahead for outages
Your business will do better the more you know and prepare. Consider:
- Emergency light system.
- Emergency fire pump.
- Emergency backup power system.
- Equipment or system shutdown priorities.
For more information