Connecting to Our Electric Grid
Please review our Customer-Owned Generation page before making a decision to invest in an electric generation system—like solar. If you decide to move forward with your own system, follow these steps to start the process to connect to MGE's electric grid.
- Complete, sign and send the following:
- Line diagram of your system.
- Proof of insurance certificate.
- It is highly recommended that you also sign and send, but do not fill out, the Standard Interconnection Agreement. Sending this early will help to expedite the process.
- Once your application and other supporting documents have been approved, order and install your equipment.
- Have your system inspected and approved by your municipality's electrical inspector.
- MGE will call you to schedule an appointment for inspection, testing and interconnection after we receive the permit from the inspector. NOTE: If your system is residential and photovoltaic (PV)-only, then we will need photos of the completed system instead of scheduling an appointment. Photos can be submitted at any time after the system has been installed and should contain the following:
- Photos of each inverter installed in order to confirm they are UL1741 rated and that their sizes match the interconnection application and drawing. If using microinverters, these photos are not necessary.
- A single photo including both the disconnect switch and the meter socket to verify the location of the disconnect switch. If the meter is inside, then show the disconnect switch next to mast/LB entering the house.
- A single photo of the inside of the disconnect switch in order to confirm if the blade is fused or solid.
- Once the electrical permit has been received and we have either commissioned your system in person or approved the submitted photos of your system you will receive an official email authorizing you to begin operation of your system.
The credits you are eligible to receive depend on the size of your system:
We can receive materials via email or standard mail. If you have questions about the application or installation process, rates or systems, please contact us.
Phone: (608) 252-4783
Madison Gas and Electric
PO Box 1231
Madison, WI 53701-1231
For more information