Green Power Tomorrow
We make it easy to be green
Clean electricity is available right now for homes and businesses in our electric service territory. MGE's Green Power Tomorrow (GPT) program offers customers a flexible, affordable option for supporting regional renewable energy resources and offsetting their greenhouse gas emissions.
Each kilowatt-hour (kWh) of electricity you are allocated from the GPT program will be from renewable energy resources in our area, including both wind farms and solar arrays. Those allocated kWh include the environmental benefits, or Renewable Energy Certificates, which are retired on your behalf. GPT is one cent** more per kWh.
Under state law, MGE is required to provide 10% of its electricity from renewable energy sources. GPT gives MGE customers the option to support green power without raising rates for those who can least afford to pay a slight premium.
Support green power for your home or business
Approximately 10,000 MGE customers already support green power that's generated in our region. They help to:
- Prevent carbon dioxide emissions equivalent to more than 11,000 homes' electricity use for one year.
- Offset the greenhouse gas emissions equal to more than 180,000,000 miles driven by the average passenger vehicle.
Three subscription options are available:
- GPT 100––This option is for customers who want to participate in GPT for 100% of their electric use. GPT 100 automatically tailors a customer's percentage participation in GPT to account for the percentage of MGE's energy portfolio that is served by renewable resources. For example, a participant in GPT 100 would have 25%* of their usage served by renewable resources included in MGE's standard resource portfolio and 75% of their usage subject to the $0.01/kWh** incremental energy charge under the GPT program.
- Percentage of your usage––You can purchase a percentage of your household's electricity use. You will be billed an extra $0.01 per kWh based on the percentage you choose.** For example, if you choose 100%, your bill will include the additional GPT charge for all of the kWh you used.
- Capped monthly amount––You select a set dollar amount for GPT each month. If your electricity use in any single billing period is less than what you've chosen, MGE will reduce the charge to match your actual electricity use multiplied by the GPT premium ($0.01 per kWh**).
* The percentage of renewable energy resources included in MGE's standard energy portfolio will increase in subsequent years, lowering the purchased GPT percentage in the future.
**This cost reflects the effective GPT rate. We will notify you in advance if the cost changes. You may change your participation at any time.
Log into My Account to sign up.
Renewable Flat Bill pilot program
Our Renewable Flat Bill pilot program is an opportunity for residential customers to go green while stabilizing their electricity bill throughout the year. Participants are automatically enrolled in GPT and will be billed the same monthly rate, including the additional GPT 100 per-kWh charge for electric service based on their expected usage.
Working toward net-zero carbon electricity
MGE is advancing a more sustainable future for all MGE electric customers, targeting at least an 80% reduction in carbon emissions by 2030 and net-zero carbon electricity by 2050.
By 2030, we expect every MGE electric customer will have 80% fewer carbon emissions from their electricity use simply by being an MGE customer. By 2050, we expect all MGE electric customers will have eliminated their carbon footprint associated with their electricity use.
Since establishing our carbon reduction targets, we have said that if we can go further faster by working together with our customers, we will. Learn more about our recent clean energy projects.
For more information