Green Power Tomorrow
We make it easy to be green
Clean electricity is available right now for homes and businesses in our electric service territory. Through MGE's Green Power Tomorrow (GPT) program, wind and solar power can be purchased. For every kilowatt-hour (kWh) of green power purchased by our customers, there's a kWh of electricity that won't be generated with non-renewable fuels.
An option for those who want 100% renewable energy now
GPT is probably the easiest and most effective step you can take to advance renewable energy and protect the environment. You can choose a monthly cost that's comfortable for you. GPT is only one cent* more per kWh.
Buy green power for your home
There are approximately 10,000 MGE customers who already buy green power that's generated in our region. They help to:
- Prevent carbon dioxide emissions equivalent to more than 11,000 homes' electricity use for one year.
- Offset the greenhouse gas emissions equal to more than 180,000,000 miles driven by the average passenger vehicle.
- Bring more solar energy into MGE's power supply. We have nearly 600 customer-owned solar electric systems connected to our local grid.
With GPT, you can purchase a percent (1% to 100%) of your household’s electricity use. You will be billed an extra $0.01 per kWh based on the percentage you choose.* Or, choose a capped amount designed to fit your budget. If your electricity use in any single billing period is less than what you've chosen, MGE will reduce the charge to match your actual electricity use multiplied by the GPT premium ($0.01 per kWh).
* This cost reflects the GPT rate effective Jan.1, 2019. We will notify you in advance if the cost changes. You may change your participation at any time.
Buy green power for your business
Business owners can add more renewables to your energy mix by paying a green power premium. An average small business can offset all of its carbon dioxide emissions from electricity use for about $13.50 more each month.
By adding more renewable energy to our electricity supply, we can reduce:
- Environmental impacts of burning fossil fuels.
- Carbon dioxide emissions.
- Our dependence on limited energy sources.
- Our dependence on foreign energy resources.
Log into My Account to sign up for your home or business.
Advancing clean energy for all customers
MGE is advancing a more sustainable future, targeting net-zero carbon electricity by 2050. MGE already has been on a path to reduce carbon, having reduced carbon dioxide emissions 23% since 2005 and having previously set a goal to reduce carbon emissions at least 80% by 2050 from 2005 levels. Since establishing our carbon reduction targets, we have said that if we can go further faster by working together with our customers, we will. A cleaner environment depends on making green power a larger portion of our electricity supply. GPT is your option to do more now.
Under state law, MGE is required to provide 10% of its electricity from renewable energy sources. GPT gives MGE customers the option to support green power without raising rates for those who can least afford to pay a slight premium.
For more information