About the Bill
|How to contact us (*Interpreters available)
|Long Distance (Toll Free)
|Hearing Impaired TDD Line
|Prairie du Chien Gas Company
|Elroy Gas Company
|Viroqua Gas Company
|Automated Account Information
|Emergency numbers (available 24 hours)
|Gas Leak Emergency
|Toll Free Emergency
Natural gas prices this winter are predicted to be relatively stable due to adequate supplies, ample transportation facilities and less demand, based on normal weather conditions compared to last year.
- Cold winter temperatures impact the demand for natural gas, which can lead to price volatility. MGE uses several strategies to lessen seasonal volatility and protect our customers from price spikes during high demand:
- MGE purchases extra gas during the summer when it is typically less expensive. That gas is put into underground storage for use during the winter months when demand and price volatility are typically higher.
- MGE uses a Risk Management Program to buy a portion of its natural gas supplies. This works similarly to insurance, providing some protection from extreme price increases during the high-demand winter months.
- MGE purchases natural gas from a variety of suppliers and with varying contract terms in order to secure the best prices for customers.
- Heating bills are tied to use. Everybody's use is different.
- The best way for customers to control heating bills is to manage their thermostat. Lowering the temperature at night and when no one's home is the best way to curb your use.
- Portable electric space heaters are a considerably more expensive way to heat your home than your natural gas furnace. See space heater reality check video.
- Another way for customers to manage their bills in the winter is to sign up for Budget Payment Plan, which reduces the impact of higher heating bills by leveling your payments throughout the entire year.
- Customers having trouble paying their utility bills this winter should contact MGE at (608) 252-7222. Customers who qualify may also want to contact their local energy assistance agency.
Budget Payment Plan
Our Budget Payment Plan spreads your energy costs more evenly over a 12-month period.
You may see charges or credits on your bill if you participate in these optional services:
- Green Power Tomorrow - Clean energy from wind and solar projects is offered at a 1 cent per kilowatt-hour premium for customers who wish to offset the carbon dioxide emissions from all or part of their electricity use.
- Energy Fund - MGE has established a fund that allows customers to contribute toward needy families who cannot pay their utilities. Some customers may elect to make a monthly contribution through their energy bills.
Penalty for nonpayment
- If you can pay your utility charges incurred between October 31 and April 16 but don't pay within 80 days of when they are due, we may file court action against you. Moratorium ends April 15.
- A court could award MGE payment up to three times the amount you owe. (See Section 196.642 of the Wisconsin Statutes.)
For more information