Renewable Flat Bill
Go green and stabilize your bill
Now clean electricity comes with a stable monthly bill. With MGE's Renewable Flat Bill pilot, qualified participants will enjoy 100% clean, renewable energy with a monthly fixed bill for 12 months.
This exciting new pilot utilizes MGE's Green Power Tomorrow (GPT)
program. For every kilowatt-hour (kWh) of green power purchased by our customers, there's a kWh of electricity that won't be generated with non-renewable fuels.
Request to join!
Certainty in a time of uncertainty
The Renewable Flat Bill pilot offers eligible residential customers
the opportunity to sign up for a fixed monthly electric bill based on their expected usage. Unlike our Budget Billing program, there is no true-up, meaning actual usage will not be billed or credited at the end of the year.
How does the pilot work?
Eligible customers enrolled in the pilot will be assigned a fixed monthly amount that is dependent on:
- Your historical monthly average kWh usage. When determining your expected usage, we factor in both weather and a variable risk factor based on your usage history.
- The standard Rg-1 rate which includes the Electric Service, Distribution Service and Daily Customer Service and Grid Connection charges.
- An additional $0.01 per kWh is added based on your expected usage. This means you will automatically be enrolled in our GPT program in which you will receive 100% of renewable energy.
Additional participation requirements:
- Customers who significantly deviate from their normal usage patterns may be removed from the pilot and have their actual energy usage reviewed and re-billed at the normal residential rate after being removed from the pilot. For more information, please review the special terms and provisions for the pilot.
- The pilot is a 12-month commitment, and all agreements will be evaluated and updated on an annual basis. Eligible customers will be automatically enrolled the following year unless they notify MGE of their request to terminate service.
- In the 11th month of the pilot, customers will be notified of their new category assignment and associated monthly rate for the upcoming year. Customers will have the option of declining enrollment.
Who is eligible for the pilot?
MGE residential electric customers who have been current with their account for at least 12 months and are in good standing are eligible. The pilot enrollment will be capped at 30 participants. MGE will review customers based on this basic eligibility and other factors such as usage and payment history.
Customers who are eligible but not selected for the pilot will remain on a wait list and will be contacted if the pilot has future openings.
Customers who are participating in our Shared Solar program are not eligible.
How is the Renewable Flat Bill rate calculated?
The Renewable Flat Bill pilot rate will be determined by your expected monthly usage and based on your historical usage and weather-related considerations. The below formula is used to determine your rate. For more information, please review the detailed information as outlined in MGE's Electric Rates
a. Qm = Weather normalized usage
b. Qf = Usage deviation risk adjustment
c. Ec = Standard Electricity Service charge from Rate Schedule Rg-1
d. Dc = Distribution Service charge from Rate Schedule Rg-1
e. Rc = Renewable Energy Charge from Rate Schedule RWE-1
f. CGc = Daily Customer Service and Grid Connection charges from Rate Schedule Rg-1
g. Rp = Guaranteed amount adder at a maximum value of 10 percent or less
What might my rate look like?
Each customer’s rate is calculated based on your usage profile and is customized. As an example, a customer who averages around 575 kWh used each month with an average risk profile, would have a calculated rate around $118 per month.
A similar customer who uses closer to 900 kWh per month on average would have a calculated rate around $175 per month. As a reminder, the rate includes all the standard charges in the Rg-1 rate, but also includes the $0.01 per kWh GPT adder. Taxes and other fees, such as the Low Income Assistance fee, are not included. If you also receive Natural Gas services from MGE, your bill may still vary from month to month.
Questions? Feel free to reach out to us at RenewableFlatBill@mge.com, or call (608) 252-7248 weekdays between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Request to join!
For more information