Renewable Flat Bill
Go green and stabilize your bill
Now clean electricity comes with a stable monthly bill. With MGE's Renewable Flat Bill pilot, qualified participants will enjoy 100% clean, renewable energy with a monthly fixed bill for 12 months.
This exciting new pilot utilizes MGE's Green Power Tomorrow (GPT)
program. For every kilowatt-hour (kWh) of green power purchased by our customers, there's a kWh of electricity that won't be generated with non-renewable fuels.
Request to join!
Certainty in a time of uncertainty
The Renewable Flat Bill pilot offers eligible residential customers
the opportunity to sign up for a fixed monthly electric bill based on their expected usage. Participating customers are assigned to a category based on their expected usage and will be billed the same monthly amount for electricity for the year. Unlike our Budget Billing program, there is no true-up, meaning actual usage won't be reviewed and billed or credited at the end of the year.
How does the pilot work?
Eligible customers enrolled in the pilot will be assigned to a category of expected usage. The monthly payment amount will be dependent on the assigned category:
- There are 10 standard categories, based on monthly average kWh usage, which include all normal monthly charges found in our Rg-1 rate (most residential customers are served on this rate). We also have a formula to determine the monthly bill for customers with high energy usage. The table below shows each of these categories.
- By joining the Renewable Flat Bill pilot, customers are signing up for 100% renewable energy from our GPT program for their usage category. This program adds $0.01 to each kWh, up to the category kWh limit, and is included in the calculated monthly rate. The percentage of renewable energy is dependent on actual usage each month and may be less than 100% if the service category limit is exceeded.
- Customers who significantly deviate from their normal usage patterns may be removed from the pilot and have their actual energy usage reviewed and re-billed at the normal residential rate after being removed from the pilot. For more information, please review the special terms and provisions for the pilot.
- The pilot is a 12-month commitment, and all agreements will be evaluated and updated on an annual basis. Eligible customers will be automatically enrolled the following year unless they notify MGE of their request to terminate service.
- In the 11th month of the pilot, customers will be notified of their new category assignment and associated monthly rate for the upcoming year. Customers will have the option of declining enrollment.
Who is eligible for the pilot?
MGE residential electric customers who have been current with their account for at least 12 months and are in good standing are eligible for the pilot. The pilot enrollment will be capped at 30 participants. To fill the pilot, MGE will review customers based on this basic eligibility and other factors such as usage and payment history.
Customers who are eligible but not selected for the pilot will remain on a wait list and will be contacted if the pilot has future openings.
What are the service categories and monthly rates?
The Renewable Flat Bill pilot rate will be determined by your expected monthly usage and based on your historical usage and weather-related considerations.
||0 - 100
||101 - 200
||201 - 300
||301 - 400
||401 - 500
||601 - 700
||701 - 800
||801 - 900
||901 - 1000
Customers with high energy use (greater than 1,000 kWh per month) may participate; however, the monthly cost will be calculated as outlined in MGE's Electric Rates
Questions? Feel free to reach out to us at RenewableFlatBill@mge.com, or call (608) 252-7248 weekdays between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Request to join!
For more information