Why Choose MGE?
Madison Gas and Electric (MGE) has been generating, transmitting and distributing energy for 151,000 electric customers and 158,000 natural gas customers in Madison and surrounding southern Wisconsin counties for more than 150 years. MGE is the main subsidiary of MGE Energy, an investor-owned utility dedicated to steady growth and strong financial performance.
Our headquarters is located in beautiful downtown Madison, Wisconsin which is consistently ranked as a top community in which to live, work, play, and raise a family.
Outside of their jobs at MGE, our dedicated employees play an active role day-to-day in improving our community. Many of our more than 700 employees volunteer on local boards, committees and as members of economic development and nonprofit organizations.
Why Work for MGE?
Since we are a small natural gas and electric utility, every employee contributes to the vital service that we provide to our customers. Every position makes a difference every day to the local residents and businesses that we serve.
- We encourage employee development. The range and versatility of expertise and competencies needed today are more demanding than ever, requiring people to continually update skills as well as job and industry knowledge. That's why we provide regular training including State of Wisconsin-certified Line Worker Apprenticeship training, comprehensive technical training for field employees and award-winning safety training. We also offer a tuition reimbursement program that encourages and financially assists employees to obtain skills, knowledge and abilities that increase the effectiveness of their work performance and prepare for future MGE career advancement.
- We invest in tools and technology. We recognize that our employees must have the tools and up-to-date information they need to work effectively to:
- Reliably deliver natural gas and electricity.
- Plan and manage our financial resources.
- Best serve our customers and shareholders.
- Build strong relationships within our community.
- We provide challenging work opportunities. We cannot continue our success by doing things the way they have always been done. We challenge our employees to take initiative, be innovative and discover more efficient ways of accomplishing our goals.
- We offer competitive wages and benefits. Paying people fairly and providing equitable benefits ranks high among the things people typically look for in an employer. We fulfill other human needs at work as well by providing opportunities to learn on the job, do meaningful work that is genuinely appreciated and make a difference to the essential service we provide to our customers and community.
- Our employees feel a true sense of community at work. We are a small utility. Our size fosters the opportunity for employees to develop collaborative work relations that enable them to share information, exchange resources, listen to ideas and help each other perform effectively.
Internships (for current students)