Prepare for a Career
All positions at MGE require a high school degree or equivalent and most require experience or training beyond high school.
Administrative and Clerical
In general, our administrative and clerical positions require customer service experience. Some require a two-year degree, while others require a four-year BA or BS degree in a related field. Successful MGE administrative and clerical employees share these characteristics:
- Handle details well
- Like working with processes, procedures and systems to manage information
- Find reward in helping others
- Good communicators
Most of our business positions require a BA or BS degree. Successful MGE business employees share these characteristics:
- Technical, analytical and people-oriented
- Ability to understand the big picture as well as work with details
- Produce and maintain accurate facts and figures for business reporting
- Enjoy looking at information to help develop strategies for daily and future business decisions
All of our engineering positions (Computer, Electrical, Mechanical or Power) require a four-year engineering degree. Successful engineers working at MGE share these characteristics:
- Collaborative in working with project stakeholders
- Innovative in the solution of engineering problems
- Analytical in interpreting data
We hire electric, gas and power plant technicians. Some of our technical positions require hands-on experience, while others require a certificate from a nine-month technical program or a two-year associate degree from a technical college.
Successful MGE technicians share these characteristics:
- Like using their hands and head
- Enjoy physical outdoor work
- Good with numbers
- Thrive solving technical problems
Technical Education and Training
If you’re interested in a technical career at MGE, there are programs available to help prepare you.
Line Technician Programs in Wisconsin
The following facilities offer electric power distribution programs:
Gas Technician Training in Wisconsin
Power Plant Technology Programs
Electric Power and Electronics
- Bismarck State College - Distance Learning. This program is directed out of Bismarck State College in Bismarck, ND, however the whole program is available online.