MGE ranked number one for electric reliability
MGE is a national leader in electric reliability. According to a nationwide utility industry survey based on 2017 statistics, MGE's electric service reliability was ranked No. 1 for both the fewest number of outages and shortest duration of outages per customer. The survey includes more than 80 electric utilities in the country.
MGE has ranked in the top three utilities nationwide for the fewest outages in each of the last 11 years—including 2007, 2013 and 2015 when MGE was ranked No. 1.
"We are constantly upgrading our electric system and working hard to keep the lights on for the homes and businesses we serve. Reliability and safety are part of our mission as a community energy company," said Craig Fenrick, Executive Vice President - Energy Operations.
Our process to ensure reliability
Ensuring electric reliability is one of MGE's top priorities. Achieving this goal is an ongoing process that takes a detailed approach and committed team. To help ensure electric reliability, MGE:
- Implements a proven strategy of managing outage incidents and minimizing their effects.
- Follows a continuous improvement process to analyze and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Monitors performance on a daily basis.
- Manages our infrastructure through regular equipment inspections and planned maintenance.
- Invests in technology to reduce customer outages by enabling more accurate system switching and smart grid devices to automate our electric distribution system.