MGE ranked number one for electric reliability
MGE is a national leader in electric reliability. According to a nationwide utility industry survey based on 2018 statistics, MGE's electric service reliability was ranked No. 1 in the country for the fewest number of electric outages and ranked second for the shortest duration of outages per customer. The survey includes more than 80 electric utilities in the country.
MGE has ranked in the top three utilities nationwide for the fewest outages in each of the last 12 years. MGE has ranked No. 1 nationwide for the fewest outages four of the last six years. On average, MGE customers experience about one power outage every three years. That's compared to a nationwide average of more than four outages every three years.
Our process to ensure reliability
Ensuring electric reliability is one of MGE's top priorities. Achieving this goal is an ongoing process that takes a detailed approach and committed team. To help ensure electric reliability, MGE:
- Implements a proven strategy of managing outage incidents and minimizing their effects.
- Follows a continuous improvement process to analyze and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Monitors performance on a daily basis.
- Manages our infrastructure through regular equipment inspections and planned maintenance using modern GIS tools.
- Invests in grid-modernization technology like smart grid devices to automate our electric distribution system and reduce customer outages.