Green Power Tomorrow
We make it easy to be green
We have clean electricity available right now. Wind and solar power are ready for you to buy. And for every kilowatt-hour of green power you purchase, there's a kilowatt-hour of electricity that won't be generated with nonrenewable fuels.
Green Power Tomorrow (GPT) is probably the easiest and most effective step you can take to protect the environment. You can choose a monthly cost that's comfortable for you. GPT is 4 cents* more per kilowatt-hour.
Join a movement that really makes a difference
There are more than 10,000 MGE customers who already buy green power. They help to:
- Prevent carbon dioxide emissions equivalent to burning enough coal to fill a coal train more than 7.4 miles long.
- Offset the greenhouse gas emissions equal to taking 26,000 passenger vehicles off the road.
- Bring more solar energy into MGE's power supply. We now have 165 customer-owned solar electric systems connected to our local grid.
You can buy green power for your home today
- Choose to purchase as a percent (1% to 100%) of your electricity use. You will be billed an extra $0.040 per kWh based on the percentage you choose.*
- Or choose a capped amount designed to fit your budget. If your electricity use in any single billing period is less than what you've chosen, MGE will reduce the charge to match your actual electricity use multiplied by the GPT premium ($0.040 per kWh*).
Green power benefits
By adding more renewable energy to our electricity supply, we can reduce:
- Climate change.
- Environmental impacts of developing fossil fuels.
- Our dependence on scarce energy sources.
- Our dependence on foreign energy resources.
Green power costs
Although the fuel is free, green power costs more than electricity produced with conventional fuels because the initial construction and installation costs are significantly higher for every kilowatt of capacity. While solar power is even more expensive than wind-generated power, we think it is important to support the development of this clean, green resource in our area.
An option for those who want and can afford to buy it
We are required to provide some green energy in MGE's electricity mix for all customers. But many customers have told us they want to go beyond the minimum amount to reduce their personal environmental impact and to create demand for more green power development. GPT offers that option without raising rates for those who can least afford it.
Support green-powered businesses
See who is buying green power and what they have to say. Support these green-powered businesses.
For more information
Find out more about GPT and the families and businesses that participate at our green power Web channel.
- Buy Green Power for Your Business
- Electricity Fuel Mix
- Green Power Tomorrow: Frequently Asked Questions [266 kB PDF]
- Green Power Tomorrow (Spanish) [348 kB PDF]
* This cost reflects the GPT rate effective Jan. 1, 2013. We will notify you in advance if the cost changes. You may change your participation at any time.