Building Energy Use Comparison
Compare your electric and natural gas use per square foot with similar building types. Enter your yearly electric use (kWh), natural gas use (therms) and square footage, and click the Show button.
As a customer of MGE, sign in to My Account to have your yearly energy use data loaded automatically.
View your electric use for the selected meter.
Select Building Type
- Cold Storage
- Food Sales
- Food Service
- Health Care - Outpatient
- Office - Large
more than 50,000 sq. ft.
- Office - Medium
25,000 to 50,000 sq. ft.
- Office - Small
less than 25,000 sq. ft
- Public Assembly
- Public Order and Safety
- Religious Worship
- Retail - Mall
- Retail - Non Mall
Please select a Building Type to get started
About this chart
- Each bar represents one building.
- Comparison charts use 2019 energy use data from customers of Madison Gas and Electric in the MGE service area.
- All natural gas use for other buildings is normalized for weather.
- Therms and kWh are converted to kBtu to provide a consistent unit of measurement.
- 1 Therm = 100 kBtu
- 1 kWh = 3.413 kBtu
- Data is not statistically significant.
- Most facility types have more than 40 entries. Entries are limited to provide clarity.