Clear Snow from Meters and Vents
MGE wants you to be safe when the snow piles up.
Clear around gas meters
- Keep the area around gas meter equipment clear of snow and ice.
- Remove heavy snow and ice from above that could fall on and damage the meter and cause a gas leak.
- Carefully move snow and ice by hand to avoid damaging equipment.
Clear around furnace and water heater vents
- Blocked vents can cause furnaces and water heaters to shut down, a potential build-up of carbon monoxide or a costly service call.
- Use a long screwdriver to clear snow and ice from the end of the pipes.
If you suspect a gas leak inside or outside your home, leave the area immediately and call MGE at (608) 252-1111(608) 252-1111 day or night.