Flood and Fire Safety

Flooding

Rising water can cause damage to your electric and gas services, creating a dangerous situation. If you experience flooding or standing water in your home or business, please follow these safety guidelines:

Warning iconDo not step in floodwater. Never enter a flooded room or basement while the power is still on. Call MGE to have the power disconnected before starting cleanup work, including pumping water out of the flooded areas.

  • A small amount of water still poses a risk of electrocution if power is not disconnected. DO NOT walk on wet surfaces until the water has receded, been pumped out or safely dried.
  • Never approach downed power lines. Call (608) 252-7111(608) 252-7111 or 1-800-245-11231-800-245-1123 if you see downed wires.

Warning iconIf you smell natural gas, leave the building immediately. Do not turn lights on or off, and do not use electrical switches. Call MGE at (608) 252-1111(608) 252-1111 or 1-800-245-11231-800-245-1123 from a safe distance outside of the building. Call 911 in an emergency.

Cleaning flood-damaged areas

If flood damage has occurred, please follow these safety guidelines:

  • Cleanup work: Before starting to clean up, call MGE at (608) 252-1111(608) 252-1111 or 1-800-245-11231-800-245-1123 to have your power disconnected and your natural gas service turned off. This prevents potential gas leaks from damaged gas appliances and gas piping. Any gas or electric meters that have been submerged in water must be replaced by MGE. There is no charge for this service.

  • Electrical wiring: Electrical panels and electrical equipment that may have water damage will need to be inspected by a licensed electrician before your power can be reconnected. All affected wiring and equipment will need to be replaced by an electrician unless it is rated for use in wet locations.

  • Appliances: Gas or electric appliances that have been even partially submerged in water should be inspected by a licensed appliance repair contractor to ensure they are in safe working condition. Any gas valve or other gas or electrical parts that have been flooded cannot be trusted to work safely and will need to be replaced.

If your appliances need to be replaced due to damage, check out Focus on Energy for available incentives and discounts.

For additional information, please consult the Consumer Product Safety Commission website.

Fire Safety

If you had a fire, your gas and electric service may have been disconnected. Please follow these safety guidelines:

Warning iconIf you smell natural gas, leave the building immediately. Do not turn lights on or off, and do not use electrical switches. Call MGE at (608) 252-1111(608) 252-1111 or 1-800-245-11231-800-245-1123 from a safe distance outside of the building. Call 911 in an emergency.

  • Electrical wiring or gas piping that may have been compromised will need to be inspected before your service can be reconnected. You may need to have a licensed electrical or plumbing contractor replace any wiring, piping or equipment that has been damaged.
  • Gas and/or electric meters that have fire damage will have to be replaced by MGE. There is no charge to have your gas and electric services turned off or back on due to a fire call or meter replacement.