Natural Gas Safety
Your safety is important to MGE. That's why we add a distinctive, harmless chemical odor to the natural gas we deliver to you. This smelly (rotten egg or rotten cabbage), sulfur-based odor will help you detect gas leaks that might occur in your business, neighborhood or home.
If you smell gas
- (608) 252-1111(608) 252-1111 for Madison-area calls.
- 1-800-245-11231-800-245-1123 for long-distance calls.
Natural gas odor
If you ever smell a natural gas odor:
- Don't touch anything electrical.
- Evacuate employees and customers from the building. Remind them not to do anything that could cause a spark as they are leaving.
- Call MGE immediately from somewhere else away from the gas odor.
If there's a major leak, such as one caused by a damaged gas line:
- Immediately call 911 and MGE.
- Warn others to stay away from the area of the apparent leak.
Before you dig call 811
If you are planning a project that requires digging, be sure to call Diggers Hotline at least three working days before you begin. Call 811, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Participating municipalities and utilities can then mark the location of any underground lines on your property. Damaging a line is not only dangerous, it also will be expensive if you have not contacted Diggers Hotline ahead of time.
Avoid problems in winter
- Clear ice and snow around electric and gas meters.
- Keep snow cleared from your gas equipment vents so the equipment will operate properly.
- Install carbon monoxide detection equipment and maintain it.
For more information
- Control Natural Gas Emergencies [1.3 MB PDF]
- Customer-Owned Natural Gas Pipes
- Diggers Hotline
- Gas Pipeline Safety
- Natural Gas and Electric Safety [935 kB PDF]