As your community energy company, Madison Gas and Electric (MGE) recognizes its responsibility to preserve and protect the environment while serving our communities with safe, reliable, affordable and sustainable energy.
We are proactive and forward-thinking in our stewardship and promote sustainability with our partners, suppliers and employees as we work together to build a cleaner, smarter future.
A message from the Director of Safety, Sustainability and Environmental Affairs
Our commitment to environmental stewardship goes beyond regulatory compliance. Our team in Safety, Sustainability and Environmental Affairs takes a proactive approach to advancing the culture and continual improvement of environmental, safety and sustainability practices throughout our organization. Safety and sustainability are top priorities at MGE. This report highlights how we focus on our sustainability goals and our performance.Jeff Jaeckels
Director of Safety, Sustainability and Environmental Affairs
Madison Gas and Electric
Our Environmental and Sustainability Policy
In pursuit of our mission and in support of our commitment to those we serve, MGE:
- Complies with all environmental laws, regulations, permit requirements and other corporate environmental commitments and exceeds compliance as demonstrated by the commitments in this policy.
- Seeks environment-friendly options and waste minimization when considering sources of supply, material and contractors.
- Considers the environmental impacts of applicable company activities and seeks sustainable, cost-effective ways to reduce adverse environmental impacts and risk.
- Sets corporate goals and objectives and fosters a culture of continuous improvement in environmental and employee safety performance.
- Educates employees about MGE’s environmental responsibilities and policy and communicates and reinforces environmental values throughout the company.
- Provides regular updates on environmental and sustainability initiatives and performance to MGE’s Board of Directors to advance oversight and transparency of company operations.
- Explores opportunities to advance new, cost-effective technologies for the benefit of all and to reduce the community’s collective environmental footprint.
- Partners with community stakeholders to promote environmental education, energy efficiency and conservation.
- Communicates openly and honestly with the public regarding MGE’s environmental policy and performance.
- Contributes to the well-being of its communities through charitable and corporate giving and the service and volunteerism of employees.
Strategy and Sustainability Snapshot
Highlights from our Edison Electric Institute (EEI) ESG/sustainability reporting qualitative template.
Our Vision and Commitment
Message about our future from our Chairman, President and CEO and from our Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary about our sustainability efforts.
Strategy and Climate
A look at our deep decarbonization strategies, stakeholder collaborations, customer programs and clean energy projects for achieving our Energy 2030 and net-zero carbon electricity by 2050 goals.
Safety and Operations
An overview of how MGE advances safety both internally and externally and of our efforts to protect the environment in day-to-day operations.
Employees, Customers and Communities
How MGE works to embody our mission as your community energy company and to foster equity and inclusivity in our service to customers and in our workplace.
About this report
MGE’s 2021 Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability Report has been prepared to share matters of performance and of interest to stakeholders. This report includes forward-looking statements and estimates of future performance that may differ from actual results because of uncertainties and risks encountered in day-to-day business. For additional information, news and updates, and the company’s EEI ESG/sustainability reporting templates, visit mgeenergy.com/environment.
As part of our commitment to transparency and disclosure, we have reviewed the recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), performed an analysis of our disclosures relative to the TCFD recommendations and determined that our companywide disclosures are consistent with and responsive to the TCFD guidance and recommendations. Our Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability Report is organized to be consistent with the disclosure framework identified by the TCFD.
We also continually monitor and review the reports of and/or engage with a number of third-party ESG analytics and ratings firms to help inform our reporting to make available and accessible information relevant to our company operations and our industry. We are committed to helping customers, investors and other stakeholders better understand our strategies, risks, challenges and opportunities as we transition to a more sustainable future.
Additional disclosures can be found in our 10-K and 10-Q, Proxy Statement and filings with the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin.
MGE generates and distributes electricity to 157,000 customers in Dane County, Wis., and purchases and distributes natural gas to 166,000 customers in seven south-central and western Wisconsin counties. MGE is a regulated utility subsidiary of the investor-owned public utility holding company MGE Energy, Inc. MGE’s roots in the Madison area date back more than 150 years.
As your community energy company, we are committed to this area and its people.
We take responsibility to:
- Plan and provide a reliable energy supply that balances the needs and values of those we serve.
- Provide information and education to serve our customers and stakeholders and help inform their energy decisions.
- Preserve and protect our environment while providing affordable, reliable energy.
- Encourage and support economic and business development to keep our economy strong and vibrant.
- Engage in open and honest dialogue, partnership and collaboration to best serve our customers and the broader community.
- Location 623 Railroad St., Madison, WI
- Mailing address P.O. Box 1231, Madison, WI 53701-1231
- General contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-252-7000
- MGE Environmental Affairs email@example.com
- MGE Energy Investor Relations mgeenergy.com firstname.lastname@example.org
This report includes forward-looking statements and estimates of future performance that may differ from actual results because of uncertainties and risks encountered in day-to-day business.