A Message from Safety and Environmental Affairs
Our commitment to environmental stewardship goes beyond regulatory compliance. Our team in Safety and Environmental Affairs takes a proactive approach to advancing the culture and continual improvement of environmental, safety and sustainability practices throughout our organization. Safety and sustainability are top priorities at MGE. This report highlights how we focus on our sustainability goals and our performance.Jeff Jaeckels
Director of Safety and Environmental Affairs
Madison Gas and Electric
Our Environmental and Sustainability Policy
As your community energy company, MGE recognizes its responsibility to preserve and protect the environment while serving our communities with safe, reliable, affordable and sustainable energy.
We are proactive and forward-thinking in our stewardship and promote sustainability with our partners, suppliers and employees as we work together to build a cleaner, smarter future.
In pursuit of our mission and in support of our commitment to those we serve, MGE:
- Complies with all environmental laws, regulations, permit requirements and other corporate environmental commitments and exceeds compliance as demonstrated by the commitments in this policy.
- Seeks environment-friendly options and waste minimization when considering sources of supply, material and contractors.
- Considers the environmental impacts of applicable company activities and seeks sustainable, cost-effective ways to reduce adverse environmental impacts and risk.
- Sets corporate goals and objectives and fosters a culture of continuous improvement in environmental and employee safety performance.
- Educates employees about MGE’s environmental responsibilities and policy and communicates and reinforces environmental values throughout the company.
- Provides regular updates on environmental and sustainability initiatives and performance to MGE’s Board of Directors to advance oversight and transparency of company operations.
- Explores opportunities to advance new, cost-effective technologies for the benefit of all and to reduce the community’s collective environmental footprint.
- Partners with community stakeholders to promote environmental education, energy efficiency and conservation.
- Communicates openly and honestly with the public regarding MGE’s environmental policy and performance.
- Contributes to the well-being of its communities through charitable and corporate giving and the service and volunteerism of employees.
Strategy and Sustainability Snapshot
Highlights from our Edison Electric Institute (EEI) ESG/sustainability reporting qualitative template.
Our Vision and Commitment
Message about our future from our Chairman, President and CEO and from our Vice President and General Counsel about our sustainability efforts, related disclosures and reporting.
Strategy and Climate
A look at our deep decarbonization strategies, stakeholder collaborations, customer programs and clean energy projects for achieving our Energy 2030 and net-zero carbon electricity by 2050 goals.
Safety and Operations
An overview of how MGE advances safety both internally and externally and of our efforts to protect the environment in day-to-day operations.
Employees, Customers and Communities
How MGE works to embody our mission as your community energy company by engaging our communities, customers and employees in many different ways.
MGE generates and distributes electricity to 153,000 customers in Dane County, Wisconsin, and purchases and distributes natural gas to 161,000 customers in seven south-central and western Wisconsin counties. MGE is a regulated utility subsidiary of the investor-owned public utility holding company MGE Energy Inc. MGE’s roots in the Madison area date back more than 150 years.
As your community energy company, we are committed to this area and its people.
We take responsibility to:
- Plan and provide a reliable energy supply that balances the needs and values of those we serve.
- Provide information and education to serve our customers and stakeholders and help inform their energy decisions.
- Preserve and protect our environment while providing affordable, reliable energy.
- Encourage and support economic and business development to keep our economy strong and vibrant.
- Engage in open and honest dialogue, partnership and collaboration to best serve our customers and the broader community.
This report includes forward-looking statements and estimates of future performance that may differ from actual results because of uncertainties and risks encountered in day-to-day business.