Starting Your Project
MGE needs this information to process your service request most efficiently:
- Address of the new building site.
- Name, address and telephone number of person responsible for billing.
- Name and telephone number of contact person (architect, engineer, general contractor and/or electrical contractor).
- Date the building site will be ready for service.
- Date service is required.
- Building plans, especially site plans.
- A copy of septic and water system prints are required unless the area is served by municipal sewer and water.
- Future plans for additions, site improvements, etc.
Electric service and meter requirements
- Main service disconnect ampere rating, voltage, number of phases and location on building.
- Number of electric meter(s) and the individual connected load(s), voltage(s) and number of phases each meter requires.
Gas service and meter requirements
- The gas service pressure needed at the outlet of the meter(s)—1/4 PSIG is standard.
- Number of gas meter(s) and the individual connected load(s).
Multifamily and commercial/industrial projects only
While not required for all projects, the following information is important for most projects to enable MGE to design and install the best service for you.
- Site plan, full size to scale, showing locations of:
- Natural gas and electric service routes.
- Regulators and relief valves (on outside of the building).
- Gas and electric meters in close proximity (but not within 3 feet) and preferably outside the building.
- Natural gas service sizes:
- Electric service sizes:
- Single or three phase
- Transformer locations:
- Within 100 feet (preferably less) of the service entrance location
- Within 15 feet of a paved surface for truck access
- Meets all applicable building clearance requirements
- Survey (if available)
- Grading plan
- Storm/water/sanitary sewer plan
- Landscaping plan
- Floor plans
- Building elevations
- Electrical and mechanical plans
Note: for a printer friendly version of this list, see our Design Information Checklist [22 kB PDF]