Customer Survey Shows Support for Long-term Direction
MGE is committed to listening and responding to the needs and priorities of our 146,000 electric customers in southern Wisconsin. In addition to the 2015 Community Energy Conversations, MGE enlisted the expertise of a Wisconsin-based professional market research firm to survey a statistically valid random sample of customers in fall 2015. The survey was undertaken to enhance MGE's understanding of customers' energy goals and priorities. The results of the survey [752 kB PDF] as well as input from the Conversations, numerous stakeholder discussions, collaborative partnerships, industry research, our own planning and analysis were all used to inform MGE in developing our Energy 2030 framework.
Results from all of these sources indicate broad and strong support for MGE's long-term objectives, which we'll fulfill by working with our customers in many different ways. Energy 2030 continues the company's long-term direction with further reductions in carbon emissions, greater use of renewables in our energy supply mix, innovative products and services for our customers, and ongoing community engagement.
This graphic illustrates some of what residential electric customers told us about our shared energy future.
Additionally, customers expressed strong support for the following:
- 96% of respondents consider it important that MGE continue to increase the percentage of the energy supply from renewable resources.
- 93% of respondents consider it important that MGE offer a variety of pricing options to give customers more control over their energy costs based on how much electricity is used or when it's used.
- 90% of respondents consider it important that MGE offer tools and technology, such as smart thermostats, that would give customers greater control over their energy use and cost.
- 90% of respondents consider it important that MGE offer new tools for customers to improve energy efficiency at home.
- 86% of respondents consider it important that MGE offer new programs that allow customers to select different types of energy from MGE, such as power from MGE's wind farms or solar photovoltaics.
- 81% of respondents consider it important that MGE offer new options to enhance reliability.
In building a community energy company for the future, we will build upon our proven record of customer engagement, further seize opportunities to adopt new technologies for the benefit of all of our customers and continue to serve as a leader in our industry. Work with us and stay informed by visiting energy2030together.com for news and information about Energy 2030.