Our Commitment to a Cleaner Future
Dear Customers of Madison Gas and Electric,
The City of Madison Common Council voted last month to develop a plan for city operations to achieve 100% renewable energy and net-zero carbon emissions. Madison Gas and Electric (MGE) supported the resolution. We’re also collaborating with the city to explore partnerships around electric vehicles, energy efficiency and renewable energy.
Jeff Keebler, President and CEO and Gary Wolter, Chairman
Your community energy company shares the goal of a cleaner energy future with all of the communities we serve.
MGE is committed to increasing renewable energy and driving carbon out of our energy supply mix. We’re working to achieve a more sustainable energy supply mix using the best, most cost-effective technologies as they become available.
We’ve already reduced our carbon emissions 20% between 2005 and 2015. Today, energy technologies are evolving rapidly. However, current technology does not allow us to achieve 100% renewable energy while maintaining our responsibility to provide reliable electricity every hour of every day.
If we can go further faster toward our clean energy goals, we will. That is our commitment to you.
We remain committed to our goals under our Energy 2030 framework, which includes:
- Reducing carbon dioxide emissions 40% by 2030 from 2005 levels. This target is consistent with the Clean Power Plan and U.S. emissions targets for the 2030 time frame established as part of the Paris Agreement on climate change.
- Supplying 30% renewable energy by 2030.
We’ve already taken steps toward our goals under Energy 2030.
- MGE is seeking regulatory approval to build our largest wind farm to date.
- Thanks to our customers, MGE’s Shared Solar pilot project in partnership with the City of Middleton delivers locally generated solar energy to our community grid.
- And, we’ve reduced our ownership share in a coal-fired power plant in which MGE is a minority owner. MGE has pledged not to build additional coal plants.
We look forward to working together to advance new technologies and to create a more sustainable future for the benefit of all of our customers.
Jeff M. Keebler
President and CEO
Gary J. Wolter