Window replacements can save
Beware of inflated savings claims of "up to" 40% or more. Realistically you may save:
- About $2 to $8 per window per year, or
- About 10% to 15% of a typical home's heating bill.
Valid reasons to buy new windows
- Existing windows are beyond repair.
- Easier maintenance.
- Improved comfort.
- Better resistance to condensation.
What to shop for
- ENERGY STAR® qualified windows.
- NFRC labels on ENERGY STAR windows will tell which is more energy-efficient. The lower the NFRC-rated U-factor, the more efficient the window.
Proper installation is necessary:
- For optimal window performance.
- To ensure an airtight fit.
- To avoid water leakage.
Installers should make sure:
- To follow manufacturers' installation guidelines.
- All gaps between the window and framing are completely filled with insulation.
- All air leaks are sealed.