Save money and prevent pollution with fluorescent and higher efficiency lighting. Regular incandescent bulbs are inefficient, converting only 10% of the electricity used into light. The other 90% is wasted as heat.
Light-emitting diode (LED) lighting
- More efficient than CFLs.
- Longer lasting than other light sources.
- Higher cost than other light sources.
- Learn more at LED Lighting.
Compact fluorescent bulbs
- Direct replacement for incandescents.
- Provide more lumens per watt.
- Three times more efficient than incandescents.
- Lumens-per-watt comparison.
Replace your halogen torchieres with compact fluorescents
Halogen lightbulbs are a fire safety hazard, reaching 700 to 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit. Compact fluorescent torchieres are a safe and energy-efficient alternative, saving about $50 per year in energy costs if used four hours per day.
- Produce natural-looking, high-quality light.
- Equal or more light than 300-watt halogen torchieres.
- Use about one-fourth the electricity.
- ENERGY STAR® label means the lamp is energy efficient, reliable and safe.
Outdoor nighttime safety improves with good lighting
- Replace incandescent lights with compact fluorescents wherever practical.
- Use photo-eye controls to turn lights on at dusk and off at dawn.
- Choose motion detection sensors to provide light only when needed.
- Compare outdoor lighting costs.
- Be a good neighbor. Avoid light trespass and offensive glare by choosing fixtures that don't show exposed bulbs.
Energy-saving lighting tips
- Replace most-used incandescent bulbs and fixtures with fluorescents. You'll save two-thirds of lighting costs.
- Turn lights off when not in use.
- Use photo-eyes and timers rather than leaving lights on.
- Recycle energy-efficient lightbulbs.
For more information
- The Power of Working Together [428 kB PDF]
- Holiday Lighting Tips
- Lighting Brochure [910 kB PDF]
- CFL Bulb Recycling Locations in Dane County [184 kB PDF]
- Track Your Carbon Footprint at CO2gether.org
Or call the MGE Home Energy Line at (608) 252-7117.
- Compact Fluorescent Bulbs Discount Pricing
- Compact Fluorescent Bulbs FAQ (includes broken CFL clean up) [92 kB PDF]Compact Fluorescent Bulbs FAQ (includes broken CFL clean up)
- Good Neighbor Lighting
- Madison Police Department Home Security Checklist [4.6 MB PDF]
- Fluorescent Lights Safety Facts [111 kB PDF]
- Sensible Shoreland Lighting [362 kB PDF]
- The GlareBuster
- RAB Electric Manufacturing, Inc.