Clothes Dryer Venting Dangers
Flexible white plastic dryer vent hose is unsafe
- Ribbed surface restricts airflow.
- Lint builds up in the vent and dryer.
- Restricted airflow and lint buildup cause overheating and dryer fires.
- If a fire starts, plastic vent hose burns, spreading the fire.
Plugged plastic vents are inefficient
- Clothes take longer to dry and you pay a higher energy bill.
- May cause dryer parts to fail.
- May void the warranty on new dryers.
To avoid dangers
- Clean lint filter with every load.
- Replace white plastic vent hose with metallic vent pipe.
- Buy packaged duct only with UL listing.
- Connect duct with solid metal elbows at the dryer and vent cap.
- If you already have a metal vent, clean it out at least once a year.
- Clean lint from vent where it exits the wall.
- Be sure outside flap opens when dryer is running.
For more information
- Dryer Venting Dangers [71 kB PDF]