MGE explores and tests various new technologies to learn and understand the potential impact to our customers and our business. We invest in demonstration projects that allow us to study newer technologies and share what we learn with our customers.
Current projects include:
- Researching and installing plug-in electric vehicle charging stations
- Monitoring and learning from several solar energy demonstration projects
- Installing and monitoring an urban turbine in McKee Park in Fitchburg
- Driving and learning from hybrid and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles
- Installing and monitoring a geothermal heat pump system on a building in Madison
In the past several years, MGE projects have included:
- Sponsored a study to understand the feasibility of a large-scale anaerobic digester to produce power from farm waste. For more information visit the Dane County Office of Lakes and Watersheds.
- Partnered with Virent energy systems to learn how we could generate power from alternative, renewable, sugar-based fuels.
- Partnered with a local landfill to test a new application of a long time technology to generate power from waste methane.
- Sponsored a study to determine the potential and viability of using switchgrass as electricity generation fuel and for carbon sequestration.
We educate ourselves and our customers about new technologies so we can plan our energy future together.
For more information
Sign up for or view MGE's electronic newsletters