Top of Iowa 3 Wind Farm
MGE began building its Top of Iowa 3 wind farm in Kensett, Iowa, in 2007. It began commercial production of wind power starting in February 2008. The 18 turbines are expected to produce enough energy to power about 12,000 homes.
Clean wind energy
- Wind farm capacity: 29.7 MW
- 96,984 MWH estimated annual production
- saving about 107,458 tons of CO2 each year
- Manufacturer: Vestas
- Model V-82
- Capacity 1.65 MW per turbine
- Assembled height with blade straight up: 400 feet (height of WI State Capital building: 286 ft)
- Built in Denmark and Spain
- Generates at 600Volts AC
- Generator cuts in at 8 mph, cuts out at 45 mph
- Blades rotate at a constant 14.4 RPM
- Each tower has 4 sections
- assembled tower weighs over 140 tons
- 265 feet tall at the hub
- Built in Shreveport, LA
- Each blade is 135 feet long
- Each blade weighs 8 tons
- 270 feet rotor diameter
- Built in Isle of Wight, UK
- 10 landowners host these turbines
- Covers 1200 acres
- Equipment and 3.5 miles of road use 10 acres of that
- Turbines and blades transported by ocean freighter to Texas and from there by truck to Iowa.
- Towers came by rail from Louisiana to Iowa.
- Total project budget: 59 million dollars.