In the last decade, MGE has grown its wind capacity from 12 megawatts (MW) to 137 MW. The following wind resources serve MGE customers:
- MGE's Rosiere wind farm in Kewaunee County, Wis.
- MGE's Top of Iowa 3 wind farm in Worth County, Iowa
- Iberdrola's Top of Iowa 2 wind farm in Worth County, Iowa
- Invenergy's Forward Energy Center wind farm in Dodge and Fond du Lac counties, Wis.
- FPL Energy's Endeavor II Wind Energy Center [493 kB PDF] in Osceola and Dickson counties, Iowa
Benefits of wind generation
Wind power is a sustainable energy option.
- Better for the environment than electricity generated from nonrenewable sources,
- Keeps energy dollars in our region,
- Creates economic opportunity for host farmers and communities,
- Reduces the impact of fluctuating prices of fuels used to generate electricity.
Required vs. voluntary
All Wisconsin electric utilities are required to use renewable resources in their fuel mix. By 2015, an average of 10% of the electricity generated statewide must come from renewable energy. MGE has worked to make sure it can secure cost-effective renewable resources to meet that goal.
MGE customers have asked us to do more. We responded with Green Power Tomorrow (GPT). GPT allows customers the choice to pay more for clean energy to offset the carbon dioxide generated by their electricity use.
Buy green power
Installing your own wind generation
A wind turbine can produce a significant portion of the electricity needed by a home or small business if a location is suitable:
- Relatively high average wind speeds
- Sufficient space
- Suitable zoning codes
Resources to help you
- Properly designed wind generators can be connected to the utility grid. Visit customer-owned generation for more information about MGE's buyback rates.
- State incentives are available for qualifying systems through Focus on Energy.
- For more information and links to wind power resources, see NREL Wind Energy for Homeowners.
American Wind Energy Association
Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (U.S. DOE)
Great Lakes Wind Collaborative
National Wind Coordinating Committee
National Wind Technology Center
Sandia National Laboratories
Wind Energy Program (U.S. DOE)
Wind Powering America (U.S. DOE)
Vestas (manufacturer of MGE's wind turbines)