For Building Owners
- Automatic On/Automatic Lock Agreements
Transfer or lock the utility service to/for the owner, landlord or management company.
- Are you a Property Developer?
Contact MGE early and often during your building project. We'll save you time and money by designing an efficient service layout and installing it when it fits your schedule.
- Average Energy Use and Cost
Use this tool to estimate the potential energy use and related costs for each unit of your rental building. It will not show costs for the common space.
- Budget Payment Plan
Based on your previous bills and expected energy prices, we estimate your annual energy costs for the upcoming year and divide it evenly over 11 months.
- Energy-Saving Checklist: A Guide for Rental Property Owners [745 kB PDF]
Tips to help you save energy and money.
- Energy Use in Multifamily Buildings
MGE recently completed a first-of-its-kind study of multifamily buildings in our service area to benchmark actual metered energy use.
- Portable Energy Meter
Borrow a portable energy meter at no cost from your local public library to identify the potential causes of high energy use.
- Summary Billing
A free service for business customers that consolidates your accounts into one bill.
- Vacancy Rates for Multifamily Rental
The percentage of apartment buildings in MGE's service area that appear to be vacant because the gas and electric service is inactive or the service has been moved to the owner's name.
- View My Energy Use
Sign in to chart your past energy use.
Other helpful sites
- Apartment Association of South Central Wisconsin
Provides members with information and services to manage their rental properties professionally.
- ENERGY STAR®
Save money and protect the environment through energy-efficient products and practices.
- Focus on Energy
Links to resources to help lower operating costs and enjoy a better bottom line through energy efficiency.
- Home Energy +
Various weatherization resources for income-eligible households.
- Project Home
Provides services to improve comfort, safety and reduce energy bills.
- Wisconsin Weatherization Assistance Program
Weatherization assistance to reduce your home's energy use for income-eligible households.
For more information
- Energy-Efficient Lighting for Apartment and Condo Owners [349 kB PDF]
- Energy Problems in Small Apartment Buildings [423 kB PDF]
- Energy-Saving Tips for Apartment Owners and Managers [349 kB PDF]
- Energy-saving tips for renters
- Managing Energy Costs in Multifamily Residences [371 kB PDF]
- Multifamily Update Newsletter
Automatic On/Automatic Lock Agreements
Two Automatic Agreement Options are available to residential and commercial property owners, landlords and management companies when a tenant vacates the premises.
Automatic On Agreement (Auto-On) - Automatically transfers the utility service to the owner, landlord or management company when a tenant vacates the premises.
- Clean-up work can begin immediately because the gas and electric services remain connected.
- The rental unit can be shown to prospective tenants.
- You will receive quicker notification if a tenant moves out.
Automatic Lock Agreement (Auto-Lock) – Automatically locks the utility service for the owner, landlord or management company when a tenant vacates the premises.
- You won't get billed for usage between tenants.
Automatic Agreement Form [28 kB PDF]