Quality of Life
Welcome to a region that consistently ranks among the top places to work, live and play. Safe communities, great schools and year-round recreation contribute to this appealing environment.
- Madison is one of the top 25 Green Cities in America. CountryHome, 2008
- Madison ranks among the top metro areas (population 360,000 to 600,000) for relocating families. Worldwide ERC and Primacy Relocation, 2008
- Madison's University of Wisconsin Hospital is one of the top 20 hospitals in the country for cancer care. U.S. News & World Report, 2008
Cost of living
Wisconsin is an affordable place to live. You will benefit from reasonable housing and health care costs, short commute times and much more.
- Wisconsin's homeowner insurance rates are the lowest in the nation - National Association of Insurance Commissioners most recent data.
- Wisconsin's auto insurance rates are the fifth lowest in the nation - National Association of Insurance Commissioners most recent data.
- Compare cost of living statistics across the country.
Endless recreational opportunities await you in MGE's service area—from skiing and biking to boating and hiking. It is easy to find your favorite activity or try something new.
- Wisconsin Department of Tourism
- Greater Madison Area
- Columbia County
- Crawford County
- Dane County
- Iowa County
- Juneau County
- Monroe County
- Vernon County
Experience rich cultural opportunities in MGE's service area. Spend a day at the Dane County Farmers' Market or visit the Overture Center for the Arts, a world-class performing and visual arts facility under construction in downtown Madison.
Choose from museums, galleries, theater, dancing and much more.
Wisconsin is a safe place to live. The state's crime rate consistently ranks below the national average.
Compare crime statistics across the country.
Wisconsin's four distinct seasons offer something for everyone—from summer sailing to winter skiing. Learn more about the climate, including monthly temperatures and precipitation.