Reliable Energy Service
Meeting customers' energy needs
MGE proactively meets the energy requirements of present and future customers. From new power plants to backup generation, we provide safe, reliable and competitively priced natural gas and electricity while maintaining the highest possible standards of fiscal responsibility. MGE customers benefit from:
- A well-designed and maintained utility infrastructure reflecting rigorous maintenance practices and “backup” features (e.g., redundancy).
- Easy access to professional employees with years of relevant expertise and experience who listen and respond quickly.
- Trustworthy information and innovative ideas that help you manage your energy use, enhance reliability and control your utility costs.
Business customers are eligible for:
- Rate/pricing options, from wind power "green rates" to unbundled energy price components. MGE is No. 1 among U.S. investor-owned utilities for percentage of customers participating in voluntary renewable energy programs.
- A free power quality assessment to identify the risks and potential source(s) of electric problems and remedial strategies ranging from uninterruptible power service to whole-facility surge protection and distributed generation.
- Natural gas supply options.
Over the next decade, MGE customers' peak demand will rise an estimated 1.5% each year, on average. We plan to meet customers' electric needs by:
- Purchasing 75 megawatts (MW) to 100 MW of electricity from a new gas-fired plant in southern Wisconsin since 2004.
- Producing up to 150 MW of electricity, since 2005, from a state-of-the-art cogeneration plant—one of the cleanest in the Midwest on the University of Wisconsin-Madison (UW) campus.
- Adding more wind generation in 2005.
- Phasing in up to 150 MW of electricity from clean coal-fired plants proposed in Wisconsin beginning in 2007.
MGE is committed to making sure our customers continue to receive top-quality value and service for their energy dollar.
We take pride in the fact that MGE has the highest S&P bond rating (AA) of all combination gas and electric utilities in the nation.